Sunday 15 April 2012

Thrifty ways to get creative with Ikea frames

When I was last down at Ikea, I couldn't resist the bargain that was these 3 frames for the equivalent of a pound.

RAM frames from Ikea

They do the job if you want a postcard-sized frame, but are pretty dull - just a plain wood finish and a little rough around the edges. I decided some customisation was in order!

I have a favourite photo of a day out in Brighton that I wanted to display and thought a seaside-themed frame would be just the thing to top it off.

I do like to be beside the seaside 
I painted the frame with different coloured acrylic paints (bought in the art shop sale back in Strasbourg) and gave it a wash of white to make it look a bit driftwoody.


For the top decoration, I painted some small wooden kebab skewers and inserted them into some holes I drilled into the top of the frame. I then used some bakers twine to create a washing line, from which I could peg some stamps of Brighton that I had bought a while back (see, hoarding is a good thing!).

I then took inspiration from the postage stamp framed collage that I had seen on Sweet Paul and decided to put my dusty old stamp albums to good use. 

Purple stamp selection with matching frame
 
I picked out several purple stamps from around the world and then put them in a RAM frame painted green. I added a triangular stamp to the corner to add to the stamp theme. Again, this cost me nothing to make as I had all the stamps already and the green paint. Free art, what could be better?

Finally, I took a postcard of my favourite Mucha Art Nouveau piece, which is also my Blogger profile photo (I blogged about my trip to visit this sculpture here) and made a glitzy frame for it.


I found a very old pot of silver acrylic paint, which was just about usable and after the two coats had dried, glued on some craft gems that my boyf had given to me for Christmas. I think it sets the picture off well.

So, by spending just £1 on frames and using up craft materials and items I already had lying around, I have made 3 lovely new pictures to decorate my craft room :)

6 comments:

  1. Lovely... especially your Brighton themed one... love stamps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I've always liked stamps, but stopped collecting a long time ago. They are like miniature works of art I always think. Will probably do another stamp picture as like how that purple one turned out.

      Delete
  2. what a clever lady you are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen :) Your battenberg cake looks amazing by the way!

      Delete
  3. Love these and have some of the Ikea frames kicking around somewhere myself, must use! Love the stamp one too, maybe I'll resurrect my own stamp albums from childhood if I can find them! Thanks for the inspiration as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rhi! The inspiration is gladly given as always ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I really appreciate it :)