If you are looking for a stocking filler for a young girl, or something for your little princess to wear in her hair during the Christmas party season, here is a quick, cheap and easy crafty make for you!
All you need is:
- a plain elasticated hair band
- some pieces of ribbon about 15cm long (if they are recycled then so much the better!)
- a pearl or large bead
- 2 beads with large holes through the center (I used two plastic, glittery star shaped beads)
- a short length of thread
- a small piece of felt
- a pair of scissors
- hot glue gun or strong glue
How to make the party hair band:
- Take the lengths of ribbon and bunch them together with the pieces lying at different angles, crossing in the centre.
- Use one length of ribbon to tie a knot around the middle of your bunch to secure in place. Leave the ends of this ribbon long and use them to then tie the bundle of ribbons to the hair band. Cut the ends or incorporate them into the ribbon bundle if you prefer.
- Thread the beads with large centre holes onto the ends of a couple of the ribbons and knot above the bead to secure into place.
- Thread the pearl or large bead onto some thread and tie it around the ribbon bundle and hair band so that it sits in the centre of the ribbon bundle. Knot it securely in place at the back.
- Cut a small piece of felt into a rectangle, round the ends using scissors and then pinching the ribbon bundle to push the ribbon ends upwards and inwards to surround the pearl, glue the felt in place on the back of the bundle of ribbons. This will cover the thread and knots and secure the decorative part to the hair band (see photos below).
Voilà! A pretty hair decoration for any discerning young lady ;)
I made this as a small gift for my 11 year old niece for Christmas. All the ribbons are from my ribbon store, collected from boxes of chocolates, clothing tags etc. You could make it more festive by using red, green and gold ribbons and adding small bells or choose ribbons that match a party outfit. I would love to see your creations if you decide to have a go!